Need a Christmas tree skirt but don’t want to settle for the boring options at the store? Then make your own DIY tree skirt using vinyl records! It’s so easy and unique!
A few years ago I was asked to decorate a tree in the theme of a wish – a wish from Lauren, who has Cystic Fibrosis and wanted to go to the Grammys.
Not only was I honored to do so, but decorating that tree was so much fun. It’s not a secret around here that my love language is music.
I decorated that tree in shades of pink, song notes and touches of gold. One of my favorite things I did on the tree was the tree skirt.
The tree skirt included gold vinyl records. This is literally the easiest tree skirt in the history of ever. If you’re a music lover like me, this might be something you’ll want to do this Christmas as well.
This post contains affiliate links for your shopping convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
DIY Christmas Tree Skirt
- Vinyl Records (I found vinyl records by asking around to friends. Many people have lots of these laying around they don’t use anymore. I used about 20 – 30 records for this skirt.)
- Gold Spray Paint if you want gold records – my favorite gold spray paint is Design Masters Gold Medal.
- Pre-made Tree Skirt – either get a cheap one and cover the entire thing with records or get one that works with the rest of your holiday decor and only cover it partially with records
- Hot Glue Gun & Glue (optional)
If you want to paint the records, go ahead and do that first. Let them fully dry overnight before attaching them to the tree skirt. The only reason I painted these was because it made them more Grammy like. I would love to do one of these around a Christmas tree in our Jungle Room at some point, but I think I’ll leave them as is. I think it would be fun to see all the artists and album titles.
Now you’re ready to attach the records to your tree skirt – if you want to. You’ve got two options here:
- Lay your tree skirt out on the ground. Using hot glue, attach the records to the skirt, overlapping the records slightly as you go.
- Wrap the skirt around the base of the tree stand as you normally would. Lay the records out on top of the tree skirt, overlapping as you go.
Think of it as a “Choose Your Own Adventure” type project. 😉
With this one, I just laid the records on top of the tree skirt without attaching them with hot glue. The tree was being auctioned off, so I knew that the records might not be everyone’s pick and I wanted them to be able to just use the tree skirt without the records if they wanted to.
Beautifully wrapped Christmas gifts just pop off this tree skirt as well!
I also think the records would look great layered on top of faux fur as well – there’s another idea! 🙂
You can see more of the Grammy tree here.
Pretty easy, right? Now if I can just find more records for one of these bad boys in the Jungle Room.
Share your DIY Christmas tree skirt ideas in the comments!
Want more easy Christmas decorating ideas that have serious wow factor?
15+ Simple and Affordable Christmas Decoration Ideas – you won’t believe how easy, yet gorgeous these are!
DIY Christmas Ornament Clusters – learn how to easily make gorgeous, shiny ornament clusters to scatter all around your house!
Tinsel Decorating Ideas – no need to get your tinsel in a tangle; just toss it all around using these holiday decorating ideas!
Want to remember this tree skirt tutorial later? Just pin the image below!
Follow on social media for more simple holiday decorating ideas!