DIY Kitchen Island with salvaged wood

Don’t miss another post like this one! Sign up to get my posts delivered to your inbox here

Every time I post about my kitchen, it seems that you guys love the DIY kitchen island the most.

And I love that you love it the most.

That piece is pretty special to me.

So special that I regularly threaten to be laid out on it when I die.

{Insert Grunt Labor rolling his eyes here.}

If you have read about the full kitchen makeover renovation, you know it has come a really long way. We knocked down walls, moved appliances, painted cabinets, took out cabinets, dealt with rude plumbers and much more.

And it was all worth it.

So, here is how we built our DIY kitchen island.

NO WAY! They built this and it cost less than $100! DIY Kitchen Island via RainonaTinRoof.com

DIY Kitchen Island

First off, I apologize for the lack of photos of us actually building it. I was pregnant during the process (which was an adventure) and honestly, after it taking a couple hours to figure out how to build it, I wasn’t sure if it would even turn out well.

Luckily, I was wrong.

The good news for you is that since it did take us a few hours and a few curse words and few cross looks to figure it out, we figured out it was actually pretty easy in the end. So, really if you have basic DIY skills, you can build this island.

First off, let me give you the dimensions:

It’s five feet long, two feet (and a smidge over) wide and right at about three feet in height. For us, its the perfect size. It functions as a great workspace, we can eat breakfast at it, but it doesn’t take over the entire kitchen.

Here’s the materials we used:

The legs are old porch columns we purchased from a local architectural salvage store. We made a frame of 2x4s to go around the columns at the top and at the base. We used wood screws to attach all the 2 x 4s to the columns.

The bottom shelf is barn wood that came from my great grandfather’s farm. After the frame was completed, we just used a finish nailer to nail the barn wood into both sides of the 2 x 4s.

The top is the same countertop material that is in the rest of the kitchen. There is more info on those countertops here. We did add some 1 x 4s between the 2×4 frame on top (underneath the counter) to give the countertops a little more support.

The screws weren’t too noticeable at the bottom, but were at the top. So, after the countertop was installed, we added decorative trim around the top to hide the screws. Its the same trim we used on our built-in bathroom shelving.

DIY Kitchen Island via RainonaTinRoof.com #kitchenisland #diy

A coat of white paint and my barstools make it complete.

After we finally got our dimensions figured out, it took about an hour (without the countertop – we had pros put that in) to construct.

All in all, excluding the countertop, we have less than $100 in it. If you didn’t want a regular countertop, like ours, you could always just opt for wood.

Vintage Modern Rustic Kitchen via RainonaTinRoof.com #vintage #modern #rustic #kitchen #whatsyourstyle

pin-this-post

You can see more of the kitchen details here or tour our entire renovated rancher here.

What do you think of our DIY Kitchen Island?

Want more DIY Kitchen Island ideas?

AWESOME IDEAS - dressers turned island, build your own island, and more! 7 Kitchen Island Ideas You Haven't Thought Of... via RainonaTinRoof.com

Then don’t miss these 7 Kitchen Island Ideas you haven’t thought of

More Kitchen Posts You May Like:

Comments

1. Leslie says

So is the island the only table you have in the kitchen? Interesting. I could do something like that…my table takes over my entire kitchen!

Hi Jenna,
    This is beyond awesome! I cannot believe you guys made your island! It’s gorgeous! How endlessly creative are you?! Thank you so much for your very, very sweet comment on my blog too! I’m looking forward to meeting you in a few days at the Atl Area Bloggers meeting!

Wow.. That is so amazing. AND while you were pregnant! I love the way you mixed the barn wood with white paint and used the columns for legs. Your stools are so cute. Great job..Thank you.

Blessings to you,
    Tamara

Jenna I absolutely LOVE the island (and everything else) in your home!! I adore your green barstools. Thanks for sharing the great tutorial! And also thanks SO MUCH for responding to my email a couple days ago about some questions I had (being a new blogger and all)! I’ll get the hang of it soon I hope. You probably just jumped right in and knew how to do everything, right!? Thanks–♥Angie

Your island is really lovely! I’m thinking this general idea would also work for a bathroom vanity…we need to do one soon, and this is really quite nice and custamizable. Your whole kitchen is just beautiful!

6. Rose Sanabria says

I live in a mobile home that has a very small kitchen and have been looking to add countertop space to it. I have been trying to figure out how to make one from salvaged cabinets, but have not had any luck finding one. I love your idea. Now to find the materials to make one. I live on social security so my very limited income is a problem, but I know what I want to do so The Lord and I will find a way. Thank you. Rose

Hi Jenna. New follower here via Google+. Your island is beautiful. I just love it. I hopped over to your link on the countertops to see what you used for the top. Great choice. It’s amazing what you and your hubby have done with that kitchen. I have a monthly blog party Every Room In The House. The month of January we’re partying in The Kitchen. I’d be so happy if you’d share your island with us.
    I hope you’ll come, as I know you would inspire so many others who are redoing kitchens. By the way, I saw the comment here from your dad. How sweet. It just touched my heart. xx ~ Nancy

Hi Nancy! So great to have you following along and thank you for such a sweet comment about my island! I will be sure to hop over and link up! Thanks for the invite! And my dad – yep, he’s sweet every now and then! haha!

This island is fabulous!!! I am absolutely in love with it. I am joining you from the link-up and I am so happy to be a new follower!! I hope you will come on over visit me as well! Happy Monday!
    Tiffany

Great looking island…I love your use of the barn boards….but even more then that I love those bar stools…they add just a great pop of color!!

Great tutorial, Jenna! Isn’t it great when a project turns out better than you expected? Thanks so much for sharing this at Frugal Crafty Home Blog Hop–you know we love posts like this!

11. irene g says

Your Island is just gorgeous. Found your site through Pinterest. I love your style and all your fabulous ideas. I have an unfinished hutch top that I have been waiting to redo til I found the right base. I think something like this would be perfect! I want to make 2 shelves on the bottom for storage. Just one question. You said you screwed the 2×4’s into the columns- was this done from the outside of the column? Thanks so much. Irene

Oh, Irene! I live for comments like this!!! Thank you so much! Yes – we screwed the 2 x 4’s into the columns from the outside. We used trim to hide the screws on the top and didn’t worry about hiding them on the bottom. Hope that helps! Your piece is going to be amazing!

Love your island and love that your family’s barnwood is part of it – it looks great with those green stools!
    Visiting from the Inspire Me Please party… Rhonda @ home.made.