Looking for mudroom design ideas rooted in classic design, but still functional? And maybe there’s a pop of color here and there? You’re in the right place!
Happy New Year, freaks!
I hope each of you has had a wonderful holiday season! Our crew certainly did – in fact, I think it was one of my favorites to date. I felt like we all really slowed down and took time to enjoy every second we could of the season. We were also able to work in a couple of little trips – one including a tour of Goodwills around the state with my best girl. I completely lucked out on the whole kid thing. When she’s cool going thrift store shopping for an entire day, there isn’t much else you can ask for! haha!
To kick off the new year, the incredibly talented Stephanie of Casa Watkins Living has asked me to join in on the New Year New Room Refresh Challenge….
Myself and all those other talented folks you see above will be refresh one room in our homes throughout the month of January. You’ll be able to check in on our progress at each of our blog’s each Tuesday during the month. We’ll also be sharing lots on Instagram stories, so be sure to follow there!
What room am I making over? THE ONE ROOM IN MY HOUSE YOU’VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE….
This funky little space right here, folks:
So what kind of room is that? It’s a little space you walk into from our garage and through to get to our den. It also buts up to the guest bedroom. At one point, before the previous owners added an addition to the house, this space would have been part of the garage.
I’ve never really known what to do with this little L-shaped room. Yes, those built-in cabinets have been wonderful for storage, but did you notice the ugly little holes drilled into them for ventilation?
Those could be prettier, right?
I’m sure the blue all over the walls, trim and cabinetry didn’t sneak by you either. And there’s also that big eyesore of a heating unit in this space.
Over the past year, it has quickly became apparent to me how best to utilize this space: we need a true mudroom.
We have our laundry room-mudroom that I got into shape a couple summers ago and it’s perfect for the summer when we’re going to the backyard all the time, but we need a space now for throughout the year where we can come in and drop backpacks, riding gear, dance bags, hang coats, etc. And that’s just what this space is going to become…
DIY Mudroom Makeover
Overall, the mudroom design has a colorful classic feel. There are only two small windows in this space so I’m bringing in lots of white with a few pops of color.
- Have centers of cabinet doors cut out to remove ugly holes. Paint all the cabinetry white. Cover the now open door centers with this gorgeous Osaka Bamboo Trellis fabric. Replace cabinet hardware – currently thinking these beauties. I’m really excited to kick this storage area up a notch.
- A couple of tassels go a long way when it comes to adding color and personality to a space. I’ll be tossing a couple of SmithHonig’s silk tassels around in the space.
- The wall opposite the cabinetry and wrapping around the corner will be get a board and batten wall treatment and on top of that, this gorgeous Hawthorn wallpaper from Milton + King. I love the classic decor feel this paper has, but also the character added by the colorful birds. Also topping off the board and batten wall, will be a handful of these wall hooks, which will be great for not only hats and coats, but also a great tote.
- In terms of flooring, we’ll be pulling up the old sheet vinyl flooring and installing Select Surfaces Engineered Vinyl Plank Flooring in Chocolate Oak. This flooring is waterproof, which was a must for this space since it’s partially below ground and it’s also an easy DIY install. To lighten up the flooring a bit and add some texture, I’ll top it off with a classic navy and beige rug from Mohawk Home. There will also be a pretty blue and white umbrella holder hanging around somewhere, which was my first purchase for this space months ago and the jumping off point for the design.
- To hide that ugly heating unit, I’m counting on this green room divider to do the trick.
- Finally, I’ll be bringing in a DIY mudroom bench by way of an old credenza. You may remember this credenza makeover from a few years back. I used it in my office for a while and always loved it. Even after I redid my office and there was no longer a need for it in there, I held onto it just in case. Well, “just in case” is here! Parts of this credenza will get a lightening up makeover with a coat of Velvet Finishes Cosmopolitan. I’ll be adding an upholstered top that sports this beautiful trellis pattern in coral. The top will also have a couple more decorative touches by way of two pillows – one in this pattern and another in this one. The bench will also add additional storage space to the mudroom since it has nice deep drawers on the base.
A huge thank you to all our sponsors for this challenge!
This girl has a lot of stuff to get done this month! Be sure to see what everyone else is up to with their room refresh:
Keep up with the makeover on social media:
Tracey Alvernaz says
Hi! I am excited to see the end results! It is a neat little “room” with great storage. I like your colors. You are never too safe and have some great ideas..Keep the updates coming.
Nope, definitely not “too” safe! hahahahaha!!
susan martin says
Love all those beautiful colors! Can’t wait to see all the progress!
Thanks, Susan!! I love the color combos too!
Yay, can’t wait to follow along! Love all the plans you’ve made for this space.
Thanks, Regina! So glad you like the plans!!
Susan the Farm Quilter says
A mud room will be the perfect place for everything you want to come in the house and dump!! I wish I had a mud room, especially at the farm! Hubby and the other male members of the family have been known to track in mud…frequently!! Maybe I can make a mud room in the basement and make them enter the house that way!!
I know Susan, I am so excited to have a place to drop everything here!! It will be SO helpful! I wish we had space for a mudroom at the farm – we have that same issue with the mud. And grass. And everything else getting tracked in. Ugh.
I cannot WAIT to see this!! Eeeeeee, so exciting!
Thanks, Brigitte! I’m excited too!!
Corinna - TheBohoAbode says
Okay, I love love love this unique space! So much potential to make it a functional space that’s also gorgeous. Can’t wait to see you vision come together!
Thanks, Corinna! It does have some potential and I’m ready to finally get something done with it!
The birds! Can’t wait to see come together.
I know, right?! I love them! I wouldn’t call myself a bird person, but I adore these! The kid is a bird person, so she kind of swayed me on this one too! 🙂
Stephanie @ Casa Watkins Living says
Wow that is definitely a space I haven’t seen! Love your design for it. Wish I had a mudroom space now after seeing your amazing design. 🙂
Thanks, Stephanie! I’m pumped to finally get something done with this space!
Oh WOW! This will be a major transformation. Love the colors and pattern in your mood board and am a little jelly of all that storage. 🙂