Bathroom Renovation (on a budget)

When we moved into the foreclosure, we knew a bathroom renovation was in order for the hall bath. Of course, we didn’t have much money, so it was all done on a budget.
DIY Bathroom Renovation {rainonatinroof.com} #bathroom #renovation #makeover #diy

Bathroom Renovation

DIY Bathroom Makeover {rainonatinroof.com} #bathroom #makeover #renovation #re-model #DIY

As most of you know, my husband and I moved into a new home (a cash guzzling lovely foreclosure) this past June. Everything in the house needed some serious upgrades. It was stuck in 1970. However, everything, pretty much anyway, was in working order, including my bathroom. So, the bathroom sat untouched for a while, while dust progress was being created elsewhere..

You saw right, that was a bowl in the sink. There were plumbing issues in the kitchen. Definitely an experience.
There wasn’t much money left after taking out a wall in the kitchen for a professional to do the bathroom reno. So, we pulled a DIY bathroom renovation. As you can tell, the bathroom was plain, very plain. I did really like the solid cast iron tub though. It would be nice if it were free standing, but it worked and is in great condition, so I couldn’t let myself rip it out.
About a month into the renovation, I got to start on my very own, husband-doesn’t-set-foot-in-it bathroom. As you will see, the result of the bathroom consists of my tastes, there isn’t a speck of him there. The vanity and mirror were ripped out and then the tile was hammered out. There was about 2 lovely, dusty inches of concrete underneath that tile. Joy.
The hubby did an amazing job on the tile. Of course, I was instrumental in handing him the pieces and supervising. Marble is such a classic stone, I had to have it for my bathroom. Since it is a smaller bathroom, the cost wasn’t outrageous. Yay!
The tile that surrounded my bathtub was horrendous. Like I say…..I’ll paint anything.
I painted my bathroom tile. I used Rust-Oleum‘s tub and tile paint.
After, the first coat, there were still some beige specks coming through, so after another coat and incredibly toxic fumes, the result was….
Yay!!! White tile! It’s not my pick, which would have been subway, but its white like subway tile! I’ll take it!
The vanity in my bathroom is my most favorite thing in there….I think, it was a mere $125.
The open storage was supposed to be drawers, but those were missing, so towel storage, it is!
I used the same Behr custom color match in my bathroom that I used in the nursery.
Grunt Labor built some shelving above the toilet for extra storage.
I’m still dreaming of a floating soaking tub……but I’ll keep dreaming.
What do you think of the bathroom renovation?

Wanna snoop around my house more? Right this way, please….
Screened-In Porch Makeover {rainonatinroof.com}
Kitchen Makeover {rainonatinroof.com}
Home Tour {rainonatinroof.com}
A Vintage Nursery {rainonatinroof.com}
Master Bedroom Makeover {rainonatinroof.com} #masterbedroom #makeover

Comments

1. Lindsay says

You know I love dark blue-grey, but I like this blue a lot. It reminds me of a Tiffany and Company box. Very feminine and fun with the other accents you added!

2. Janet @ Ozarks Livin' says

I was thinking how much I liked the color when I read that you didn’t like it. But, I understand. I painted my bedroom once with a light green that I loved, and came to dislike more everyday. Your bathroom does look great!

I had NO IDEA tile could be painted! Our shower has ugly 80′s beige tile that I HATE!!!!!! Right now we can’t afford to replace it. I’ll have to look into the tile paint. Thank you soooooooooo much for posting this.

I have a question for you…I’ve been thinking of painting my tile in my hall bath with that Rustoleum paint too. I’m wondering if you followed the directions exactly or if you just clean the tile then painted it? I looked at the directions and it seemed so complicated that I didn’t buy it.

Nicole, it does seem complicated at first, but its really not. I did this almost two years ago, so I can’t really remember exactly what I did before painting the tile. I know I did clean it. Probably just with like spic n span and a wet cloth and then wiped it all down a clean wet cloth and let it dry fully, then I started painting! Hope this helps!

Yep, totally does!! I was worried it was a really complicated process but if you can’t really remember (that’s a good thing) then I’m going to guess that it wasn’t so traumatic of a process. :) I’ll be buying it tomorrow and painting my yellow tile!!

Thanks again!
        Nicole

• contul says

Hi, how long ago did you paint the shower tile? Do you use the shower every day? Is there any peeling yet?

Thank you!

I painted the shower tile about 2 1/2 years ago. I do use the shower almost everyday. There is no peeling from everyday use, however, I have accidentally peeled it a bit by banging the head of a scrub brush against it. That being said though, I also painted my husband’s tile in his shower. I used a different color, biscuit, I believe and it is peeling just from everyday use. It could be the different color. It could also be that his tile was much more smoother and shinier than mine. So, overall I’m very please with how mine has held up, but not so much with his. Hope that helps!

I was JUT looking in to doing this for our bathroom! We don’t have any kind of reno budget but our tub is turning yellow. It doesn’t have tile surround, its that plastic vinyl stuff do you think I could use that still? I desperately want our bathroom to be more fresh and less “glowing yellow”. I’ve got plans to paint it a pale grey and hope that helps too!

How bright and fresh Jenna. I am amazed by tthe painting of the tile. Curious as to how it will hold up to cleaning. Beautiful vanity!!
    Hugs, Gee

7. Heidi says

The bathroom looks incredible! I LOVE the vanity! Where did you get it? Do you know the maker? We are currently building a house and I would love to get something similar. Thank you.

Hi Heidi! Thank you so much! I wish I were more help, but I don’t know the maker of the vanity. I purchased it at a “seconds” store that we have where I live and it has since closed. I am so sorry! Have you checked Pottery Barn? Sometimes they have similar looking pieces!

8. Dorothy says

I think you did a terrific job. I love the vanity in particular and your taste is great. I do have to admit, I don’t think the tile around the tub was at all “horrendous,” just a style that isn’t in demand right now. At some point, people don’t have the time or money to keep changing things every few years, and I’m getting to find it hurtful to read comments like that on Hometalk about anything that’s less than the current trend. That said, I think your bathrooom is lovely.

Hi Dorothy! Thank you so much! You’re right, Dorothy, the tile wasn’t all that bad. It was in great condition, it just wasn’t my taste, so I painted it. I completely understand what you mean about everyone thinking that everything has to be current and on trend! There is no way I could keep up with current trends financially! I’m a huge fan of decorate with what you love – forget trends!