How to Upholster a Cane Chair {Jonathan Adler Inspired}

How to Upholster a Chair {rainonatinroof.com} #upholstery

I thought re-upholstering this chair would be difficult.

I was wrong.

Shocking, I know.

Now, I will teach you how to upholster a cane chair like this.

Aren’t you so excited?

But don’t ask me about upholstering other types of chairs – I’ve only conquered this one.

This chair started off like this:

How to Upholster a Cane Chair {rainonatinroof.com} #upholstery #canechair

It is one of a set that my grandparent’s had. My dad is holding the other one hostage and refuses to negotiate – something about how he needs it to watch TV in. He can’t sit in the floor? But now he is impressed with my stellar upholstery skills and wants me to re-do his. Hmmm…..maybe I will “lose” it. Is it possible to “lose” a chair?

Back to this chair. It has all the cream colored fabric on it because once upon a time, I thought I would just re-cover it with that without taking off the old fabric, but I wasn’t really in love with that fabric so it sat like this for at least a year.

Then, I found this fabric at JoAnn’s that screamed Jonathan Adler to me and I knew it would be perfect for the chair and the Summer Soiree Style Series.

How to Upholster a Cane Chair {rainonatinroof.com} #upholstery #canechair

First, I got out a flat head screwdriver and pliers and began pulling out all the staples along the underside and frame of the chair, which resulted in this.

How to Upholster a Cane Chair {rainonatinroof.com} #upholstery #canechair

I made sure to keep my old fabric pieces in tact so that I could use them as a guide for cutting out the new fabric. You should do this too, it makes the process so much simpler.

Before, I started upholstering the chair, it needed a new paint job. I primed it first with Rust-Oleum‘s white primer spray paint, then a couple coats of Rust-Oleum’s metallic gold spray paint and finished it off with Rust-Oleum’s gloss topcoat finish. Can you tell I’m a Rust-Oleum girl?

Spray Paint a Cane Chair {rainonatinroof.com}

Spray Paint a Cane Chair {rainonatinroof.com}

Right this way for the 2nd part of how to upholster a cane chair>>

Jonathan Adler Inspired Chair Makeover {rainonatinroof.com} #chairmakeover #jonathanadler

More Chair Makeovers & Upholstery Posts:

How to Waterproof & Repel Stains on Fabric

Pink & Houndstooth Chair Makeover (Roadside Rescue)

French Country Chair Makeover

Restored Rocking Chair

Upholstered Box Spring

Comments

Oh my gosh, Jenna! You are a RockStar! Actually I already thought that before this awesome chair. ;) But oh how beautiful that turned out.
    Thanks for the 411 on the reupholstering too. I could totally use that for a chair waiting out in my garage right now.
    Cheers to you and yours!

2. MIDNIGHT_RIDER_1961 says

Having seen this chair last weekend I will be the first to attest that this is both a fine piece of craftsmanship & work of art. And yes, I am gonna let my daughter re-do the other chair. But I am undecided about the colors. Being a Bama Graduate, I think Crimson & White would look very nice and be a comfortable place to be whle I watch the Tide beat up on the likes of LSU, Tennessee, & Auburn. Roll Tide! I guess she & I might have to look for material along with help from my precious granddaughter.

3. Lindsay says

If possible, this chair looks even better in person, y’all! Jenna did an amazing job on it! I’m gonna let her redo my cane chairs like this! ;)

(Mom, you didn’t just read that. Don’t tell Mamaw.)

I love your tutorial! I have a pair of chairs with similar style upholstery that needs to be replaced. I keep looking at them, afraid to take the fabric off and attack them. This gives me hope!

Hi, I can’t believe how beautiful the chair came out! You have a real talent for this and make it look so easy! I saw it on I gotta create!
    Julie from julieslifestyle.blogspot.com

Nice job Jenna! I haven’t braved reupholstering a chair yet, but I have a couple set aside for the future! Thank you for sharing it and you lamp redo at to What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

Hugs,
    Deborah

I am stopping by from Happy Hour…you have inspired me to tackle two chairs that have been sitting in my closet waiting for me to do something with them!! Thanks

wow!! so great! you are fearless and I love the fabric choice! This would be perfect as MY vanity chair in my bedroom! Wish I could drive over to get it ;) Thanks for sharing this tutorial, encourages me to tackle a few re-upholstery projects! XO.

Jenna, I love the final chair! Great tutorial too! You chose great, great fabric and the perfect shade of gray! I just wanted to let you know that I’ve featured you on my Finding Friday: My Favorite Finds post on my blog It’s Always Ruetten {itsalwaysruetten.blogspot.com}.

When you have a chance, I’d love for you to come by and grab my featured button!

Great job!

Julia
    It’s Always Ruetten

Visiting from Huckleberry Love’s party and from FrySauceandGrits.com! I’m going to attempt to reupholster a family heirloom chair in my living room. Your post has helped me gain some more confidence because this is my first time! The chair turned out great! Thanks so much for sharing!

This chair is pure gold! Love it! I have a pair of cane chairs that I have yet to tackle! Great job! Linking back from Savvy Southern Style!

Really? I’m a rockstar? Could you call MTV and tell them? Maybe they could give a shoutout to my blog?! Haha! Thanks, gal! You can totally re-upholster something. It really was not near as hard as I thought it would be!

Wow! This is just gorgeous. I love the selected fabric, the paint color choice, and also the fabulous cane chair. You really need to torment ‘daddy’ until he gives in :-)
    I admire the effort you put in to reply to each and every post…very encouraging. Keep it up.

13. shannon hynes says

Hi Jenna – I’m visiting this bloggers page…. its relay nice.. you can check out this web site coolrattanfurniture.com for a better knowledge about Chairs.