Have you ever seen something, told yourself you could totally make that and then you found out, ummmm, no, I can’t do this.
Happens to me all the time. Truth.
I have had many crafting and DIY fails. And that’s ok.
Here’s how I took my latest potential fail and still came out with something pretty.
This whole project started months ago when I saw this candle holder on Anthropologie. That link goes to Pinterest because the candle holder is no longer available.
But its current availability status was not why I decided to make my own.
That candle holder was….wait for it…..around $600.
For a candle holder!
I don’t know about you, but I don’t have $600 to spend on a candleholder that will inevitably be thrown to the ground by the strong willed kid (as the doctor called her just last week).
Then, one day while perusing the Target dollar spot, I found plastic animals for $3 a pop.
I bought four of them, brought them home and spray painted them white.
And then, I couldn’t figure out how I could get them to stand on top of one another.
I tried various methods. Once a week or so I would walk by them in my craft room, contort them in various positions trying to make it work, but alas it was not meant to be.
So, finally last week, while attempting to finish multiple DIY projects, I just drilled holes in a couple of them, stuck a candle in and called it done.
I used the largest drill bit we had, in fact it was one that came from Grunt Labor’s grandpa who I never had the pleasure of knowing. I feel we would have gotten along fabulously though. Apparently, he liked junk as well. I’ve heard there was one occurrence where a dumpster was rented to toss out much of his junk while he wasn’t looking. I’m still recovering from the fact that I wasn’t around at that time to save some of said junk.
And that was the ADD kicking in.
Back to the drill bit. It wasn’t as big as the candle so, I just rolled it around the hole I was drilling to make it bigger as I was drilling. I still didn’t make it as big as the candle – I wanted them to fit in there securely, so I left the hole slightly smaller and used a lighter to soften the bottom of the candle wax before I stuck it in.
And that’s it.
A salvaged DIY fail.
Sign up to get my posts delivered to your inbox here.
You know you don’t wanna miss any of this crazy.
Stalk Me Here: