Gray and White French Country Chest

Remember the small gray table in my master bedroom reading nook? The one you read about here. This french country chest below was also part of that Craigslist haul where Grunt Labor was counting the farm animals. It has turned out to be one of my absolute favorite pieces I’ve ever done.

It started out like this:

For me, it was easy to see through those horrendous painted flowers and awful 1980s(?) yellow-y color to see the beautiful curves underneath. She is also solid wood, so it was a no-brainer that Grunt Labor would be loading it up in the truck for me.

I mixed up the same Benjamin Moore Trout Gray chalk paint recipe that I did for the table and covered the entire piece in it.

Source
I really wanted this baby to pop, and I love the combination of white and gray for contrast, so I grabbed a sample pot of some white color I have (sorry I don’t know the name!) and made some more chalk paint. I painted the grooves along the legs white and the handles the same color. When it was all done, I gave it 3 coats of Minwax Polycrylic Spray.

Source
No sanding for rustic-ness, I wanted pure, clean, contrast.

Isn’t she grand? Unfortunately, I can’t keep this beauty. There is no room for it at my house. It is for sale on my Etsy shop. If anyone is in the Chattanooga, Tennessee area, email me for more buying info!

Comments

It turned out beautiful Jenna, I love it. Don’tcha just love what the power of paint can do. Amazing! I’m your newest reader and follower, would love for you to do the same. :) Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for stopping by today!
    Audrey @ neverendingdecorating.blogspot.com

I love this transformation! beautiful job!! I am addicted to making my own chalk paint now! I think I have found the perfect variation for myself! this dresser is beautiful :)

3. Taryn @ Design, Dining + Diapers says

This definitely is a beauty! I love the colors that you chose and I’m so glad you didn’t distress it. I love it!

I do use the spray over chalk paint and it has worked fine for me so far. I don’t use the Annie Sloan chalk paint – I mix up my own chalk paint and never had a problem with it being tacky. Sorry I can’t help on that! Glad you stopped by!

Very nice! I would love to find a piece like this to sell as well. Usually they are laminate though so you did get lucky with this one, didn’t you?. I love that it is so clean looking now. Very versatile and classic. Great job!

5. Annette Spellman says

I love the contrast!!! Beautiful! May I ask how you are making your own chalk paint? I would love to save some money, and be able to paint more!!!!
    thanks!